.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chronicles from a Caribbean Cubicle

6/11/2005

Designing a new website

I'm in the throes of designing my new website, and have been doing more and more work on the web as a result.

The explosion in blogging has been phenomenal since the start of 2005, as has the growth in the number of sites that are attempting to be "wiki" in outlook, if not in actuality.

These trends have made me rethink what a website is for, and how users can interact with it -- it actually can have a "personality" that is brought to life in the way that the site is designed.

On my new site, I've created some new ways for visitors to interact with the ideas that I create. On one extreme there is this blog, which has new ideas in a rather raw form. At another extreme, there are standard-looking white papers and research reports. At yet another extreme, there is an open invitation to take me out for drinks, or a lime, so that we can share ideas.

Why this approach? I guess that I've been bitten by the bug of transparency and collaboration. When combined with a new commitment to give away and receive as many new ideas as possible, I've tried to create as many opportunities for sharing ideas as I can.

The truth is, that this approach flies in the face of the supposed "basic assumption" of business -- competition for scarce resources between firms.

So what?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home